See the angled edge of the blade? This is the bevel angle. Match this to the face of the whetstone. For a clever-like tool like a machete, this should be at a high angle--15 to 25 degrees.
Apply moderate pressure and draw the blade across the stone. Do this so the blade moves away from you for safety. Do first one side, then the other, giving each 12 to 20 strokes.
Clean and oil the machete after use. Since you will be using it to cut a lot of wet plants with woody pulp, the finish won't last long and the blade will soon become prone to rust.
Machete Use and Care
Start from a position parallel ton and outside of, what you want to cut down. You should never have to loop your wrist and arm far outside the target.
Lead with the elbow and cut down at an angle.
Flick with the wrist at the last moment.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades